Category: News

Limón: Furloughs a ‘worst-case scenario’

SBCISD

By MONICA ZUÑIGA Staff Writer reporter@sbnewspaper.com San Benito CISD officials said Tuesday that staff-wide furloughs are a “worst-case scenario” in efforts to offset a $3 million budget shortfall. Superintendent of Schools Antonio G. Limón said that the furloughs, an unpaid temporary lay-off, would only be necessary should the state legislature not “improve funding” at its …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/06/limon-furloughs-a-worst-case-scenario/

AUTHORIZED: County grants group access to Dolly Vinsant

Dolly Vinsant cleanup

By MONICA ZUÑIGA Staff Writer reporter@sbnewspaper.com So far, so good. At Thursday’s meeting of the Cameron County Commissioners Court, the group known as Save Dolly was authorized to begin cleanup on the unkempt grounds of Dolly Vinsant Memorial Hospital in San Benito. The group sprung into action in early June for the purpose of saving …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/06/authorized-county-grants-group-access-to-dolly-vinsant/

Two charged with robbing 8-liner

robbery suspects

By MONICA ZUÑIGA Staff Writer reporter@sbnewspaper.com Two San Benito men were arrested on July 4 for allegedly holding up a game room, located near the intersection of Travis and West Batts, at gunpoint. Detective Rogelio Banda of the San Benito Police Department stated in a press release that 18-year-old Angel Quiroz and 19-year-old Andrew Meza …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/06/two-charged-with-robbing-8-liner/

VMA Dazzlers participate in summer dance camp

VMA Dazzlers

Special to the NEWS In preparation for the upcoming academic year, the San Benito Veterans Memorial Academy Dazzlers recently participated in the 2012 Dancersize Summer Dance Camp with choreographer Amanda Nicole Espinoza. Participants learned warm up activities, dance technique, drill downs, competition style routines, and team building activities. At the conclusion of the camp, a …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/06/vma-dazzlers-participate-in-summer-dance-camp/

ROUND 2: ResacaFest rescheduled to July 14

ResacaFest

By MONICA ZUNIGA San Benito News ResacaFest 2012 was on its way to be the biggest yet before it rained, but the City of San Benito has high hopes that a rescheduled event will pick up where the originally scheduled June 30 festival left off. Members of the City of San Benito Special Events Board …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/02/round-2-resacafest-rescheduled-to-july-14/

SOURCE OF STRENGTH: District employees come to aid of co-worker fighting cancer

Gustavo Gonzalez

By MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ Managing Editor editor@sbnewspaper.com It was unexpected. This is how 65-year-old Gustavo González, who for over 18 years has worked in the department of building and grounds for San Benito CISD, described his reaction to an overwhelming show of support from his fellow co-workers during a time of need. The support came after …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/02/source-of-strength-district-employees-come-to-aid-of-co-worker-fighting-cancer/

Board members’ terms unexpired upon removal

gavel

By MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ Managing Editor editor@sbnewspaper.com Contrary to a recent report, the cause for removal of at least two Economic Development Corporation board members was not as a result of their terms expiring. In another local newspaper, Mayor Joe H. Hernandez was reported as saying that former City Commissioners Celeste Z. Sanchez and Bill Elliott …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/02/board-members-terms-unexpired-upon-removal/

Emergency officials stress fireworks safety

fireworks

By COLE AVERY San Benito News Fireworks and the 4th of July: Few combinations go together better, except for maybe, well, fireworks and fires. That’s why San Benito and county officials are urging residents to play it safe this week while celebrating the country’s independence. Conditions for this 4th of July season are favorable for …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/02/emergency-officials-stress-fireworks-safety/

Man busted for smuggling marijuana

drug bust

By JERRY RODRIGUEZ Staff Writer reporter@sbnewspaper.com San Benito police arrested a man believed to be smuggling marijuana into the country on Tuesday. At 4:30 p.m., 21-year-old Rafael Campos Arratia from Matamoros, Mexico was detained for allegedly smuggling the illegal substance into the U.S. According to a San Benito Police Department press release, an investigator assigned …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/07/02/man-busted-for-smuggling-marijuana/

Thunderstorms force ResacaFest cancellation

ResacaFest

By MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ Managing Editor editor@sbnewspaper.com Organizers of the 2012 ResacaFest confirmed that today’s event has been canceled due to inclement weather. No date has been set to reschedule the event. The event kicked off at 7 a.m. and enjoyed the attendance of hundreds of spectators before organizers were forced to cancel once a thunderstorm …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/06/30/thunderstorms-force-resacafest-cancellation/