Hurricane Ernesto poses no threat

Hurricane Ernesto

By MONICA ZUÑIGA
Staff Writer
reporter@sbnewspaper.com

Meteorologists with the National Weather Center in Brownsville confirmed Tuesday that there will be no chance of rain nor are there any other likely effects to come from Hurricane Ernesto, which was recently upgraded from a tropical storm.

Still 220 miles east of Chetumal, Mexico as of 11 a.m. Tuesday, Ernesto reached hurricane strength before hitting the Yucatán Peninsula. Meteorologist Jason Straub of the National Weather Service in Brownsville explained Ernesto should make landfall in the overnight hours of Tuesday into Wednesday morning.

Growing stronger, the tropical storm is now moving west-northwest at 14 mph with 80 mph winds, this as of presstime. Jim Campbell, also a meteorologist with the NWS in Brownsville, said Ernesto is so far south “it may not have any effect on us.” He added, “The most it could generate is possibly a swell.”

In fact, Campbell said Ernesto could dissipate completely by Saturday morning before even reaching the Gulf of Mexico.

To read this story in print, pick up a copy of the August 8 edition of the San Benito News. Or view our E-Edition by clicking here.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/08/07/hurricane-ernesto-poses-no-threat/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.