Case against mayor’s accuser dismissed

By MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ
Managing Editor
editor@sbnewspaper.com

Alfonso Benavides

Alfonso Benavides

Mayor Joe H. Hernandez

Mayor Joe H. Hernandez

The case against Alfonso Benavides involving allegations that he harbored a runaway has been dismissed by Cameron County Court-At-Law No. 1 Judge Arturo McDonald Jr.

The County Clerk’s Office confirmed the June 17 dismissal via telephone on Thursday.

Benavides, 59, was arrested May 7, 2012, after officers with the San Benito Police Department said the parent of a male juvenile, then 14, complained that Benavides was allegedly housing the minor at his Combes Street home.

As previously reported by the San Benito News, Benavides was charged with one count of harboring a runaway child, a class “A” misdemeanor, and was incarcerated at the Carrizales-Rucker Detention Center in Olmito on $3,000 bond. Former San Benito City Attorney Janice Cassidy, Benavides’ legal counsel, has long attributed his charge to political retaliation, to which Assistant City Manager Arturo Rodriguez previously denied.

On Thursday, Benavides said his arrest rendered him emotionally distressed and his credibility damaged.

Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the June 23 edition of the San Benito News, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2013/06/21/case-against-mayors-accuser-dismissed/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.