PI-SBND advances upgrades

By JACQI LEYVA-HILL
Special to the NEWS

PORT ISABEL, TX —Community improvements, financial stewardship, and long-term growth opportunities shaped the discussion at the Jan. 30 meeting of the Port Isabel–San Benito Navigation District Board of Commissioners.

At the district’s offices in Port Isabel, commissioners worked through a full agenda focused on maintaining safe, efficient facilities and planning responsibly for the port’s future.

The board approved the port’s 2024 audit, along with the monthly financial reports for November and December 2025 and the fourth-quarter investment report.

Commissioners also authorized the transfer of $1.5 million from the district’s operating account to its TexPool investment account, consistent with district financial policies.

During the discussion, Commissioner Jose Morales encouraged the board to monitor interest-rate trends when considering future investments.

Morales noted that some funds currently earn lower variable rates and suggested that the district remain open to options that could deliver stronger returns while still meeting public-fund safety requirements.

The conversation underscored the board’s role in both managing and growing community resources.

Several agenda items focused on day-to-day operations that directly affect port users. Commissioners approved the purchase of a new security camera system and discussed additional steps to limit unauthorized access to port property, emphasizing the safety of tenants, workers, and visitors.

As part of that discussion, Secretary Commissioner Duvie Woods noted that if the district were to establish a guard station in the future, it would make the most sense to have a guard on duty from sundown to sunup, the hours when the port is most vulnerable, and activity is harder to monitor.

The board also moved forward with acquiring a mobile travel lift to remove boats from the water for maintenance and repairs. Port Director Victor Barrera reported that the lift under consideration is a 2018 model with fewer operating hours than a previously reviewed option and would include a warranty.

Additional approvals included a truck trailer, a GPS system for port vehicles, and a trash and water pump to support ongoing operations.

Barrera’s report highlighted recent maintenance by port crews, including repainting interior doors and frames and upgrading lighting in and around the boat barn. He also noted ongoing trash container service to keep facilities clean and functional.

Looking ahead, Barrera shared early conversations with representatives involved in luxury yacht-style cruise operations about potential future visits to the port.

Attracting yachts or small cruise liners is not new; Morales first brought the concept to the board when he became commissioner in May 2023 and asked Barrera to explore its feasibility.

Although still preliminary, officials said such partnerships could bring additional tourism and economic activity to the area.

Barrera also met with marine engineering representatives to discuss potential dredging or infrastructure studies, with preliminary cost estimates of $50,000 to $80,000.

Commissioners also approved $20,000 in scholarships for students from four area high schools.

Morales said that supporting local students, particularly those interested in maritime, technical, and trade-related careers, is one way the district invests in the community and helps build a future workforce connected to the waterfront economy.

The board members agreed unanimously.

After meeting in executive session on personnel, lease, and legal matters, the board set its next regular meeting for Feb. 12 before adjourning, reaffirming its focus on keeping the port safe, financially sound, and beneficial to the surrounding community.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2026/02/06/pi-sbnd-advances-upgrades/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.