Golfers’ tourney canceled

By ALBERT VILLEGAS
Special to the NEWS

San Benito Greyhound Head Golf Coach Henry Valle’s season outlook of competing in seven tournaments took a significant turn for the worse when the Greyhounds’ own tournament was canceled due to inclement weather last week.

San Benito was scheduled to welcome golfers at Treasure Hills Golf Course in Harlingen, where they actually practice, but frigid conditions didn’t allow for tourney play.

“Unfortunately, the weather was not good,” Valle said. “We will only have our one-day Pre-District Tournament on March 28.”

The following week, San Benito will then partake in the District Tournament against Harlingen, Los Fresnos, Brownsville Veterans Memorial, and Brownsville Hanna.

“We’ll have seven boys and five girls representing San Benito,” Valle said. “We’re hoping for the best, but it’ll be a hard two days during district.”

At the end of the Harlingen Invitational held Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 at Tierra Santa Golf Course in Weslaco, there were 10 teams that competed, with the San Benito boys finishing eighth and the girls fifth, respectively. Only host district foes Harlingen and Los Fresnos were part of the competition.

San Benito also competed at the Brownsville Invitational, Jan. 17-18.

The boys finished third among six teams (34 golfers), and the girls took the title among four teams (24 golfers), respectively.

 

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2025/02/28/golfers-tourney-canceled/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.