PD: Man who cut finger off arrested

By HEATHER CATHLEEN COX
Staff Writer
reporter@sbnewspaper.com 

emergency-lightsThe man who allegedly cut off part of his own finger while stabbing a friend over a dispute was arrested late Tuesday afternoon.

At approximately 7:15 p.m. Friday, December 7, officers with the San Benito Police Department responded to a residence located on the 200 block of Woodford St. in San Benito in reference to a man whose finger had been dismembered from his hand.

According to witnesses, two men identified as 21-year-old Luis Angel Romero and 23-year-old Shawn Adrian Ramirez had allegedly been involved in a fight at a social gathering, held at said residence. When officers arrived, paramedics were already at the scene, treating Romero whose index finger had been partially severed. Romero was rushed to a hospital for treatment.

Approximately one hour later, Ramirez, who police initially believed allegedly dismembered Romero’s finger arrived at a local hospital displaying multiple stab wounds to his front and back torso.

The two individuals involved in the fight were initially considered to be both victims and suspects; however, a hospital report revealed that “the assailant cut off his own finger,” said SBPD Assistant Operations Chief Michael Galvan.

Galvan said a police demonstration proved it was possible that “somewhere in between the stabbing, (the assailant) didn’t have the blade locked, and it bent back. It cut off (part of) his finger.” Police now believe the assailant, whom they identify as Romero, cut off his own finger while allegedly stabbing his friend, said Galvan.

“These are severe charges,” Galvan further remarked. The charge associated with this case will be aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, which is a second degree felony, punishable by 5-99 years imprisonment.

Meanwhile, Romero’s finger was reportedly reattached, according to investigators. Additionally, Ramirez, who was treated for stab wounds, has been released from the hospital. Both men reside in San Benito.

Read this story in the Dec. 12 edition of the San Benito News, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/12/11/pd-man-who-cut-finger-off-arrested/

1 comment

    • San Benito on December 12, 2012 at 11:55 am
    • Reply

    Shawn is always messed up. He probably started it knowing him. That family is always full of drama anyways.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.