By HEATHER CATHLEEN COX
Staff Writer
reporter@sbnewspaper.com
Several arrests have been made in San Benito in relation to an incident involving a man’s sister who was cut while trying to defend her brother.
Around 3:30 a.m. on Friday, November 2, officers with the San Benito Police Department responded to the 600 block of North Resaca Drive after receiving a 911 call alerting them of an aggravated assault in progress.
SBPD Detective Rogelio Banda, Jr. said an altercation allegedly began when a confrontation between a man identified as J.J. Leal of San Benito and four other male suspects, three of whom have been identified as Joseph Torres, Joe Anthony Gonzalez and Sonny Zuniga all of San Benito, prompted Leal’s sister to step outside of a residence in order to defend her brother.
It was further alleged that while one suspect attacked Leal, Leal’s sister hit the attacker on the head. The “suspect apparently had a knife with him and took a swing at her, cutting her on her right leg,” Banda said. “At that point, J.J. Leal noticed that the female had been injured and tried to help his sister. The suspect fled the scene,” before police arrived.
Reportedly, Leal attempted to drive the victim to a hospital for treatment when suspects began throwing bricks and other objects at Leal’s vehicle.
Although it was reported that Leal’s vehicle was under siege of blunt objects, Banda said there is evidence leading investigators to believe “Leal crashed his vehicle intentionally into the suspects’ vehicle. He hit another vehicle then ran back into the other vehicle.”
The victim and Leal were involved in an automobile crash with a black Chevrolet Tahoe, in which several of the suspect males allegedly arrived. After the collision, Banda said Leal allegedly took part in another physical altercation with a male subject at the scene.
Officers responding to a 911 call managed to detain and arrest three of the four suspects and the victim was taken to the hospital, treated and released with no reported serious injury. Leal was also arrested.
Banda explained, “Leal was being victimized, but the moment he ran his vehicle in to the suspect’s vehicle he was wanted as well. He assaulted (the suspects) with a motor vehicle.”
The male subject who managed to flee the scene is being pursued by police officials at this time. Banda said, “We still haven’t been able to find him or properly identify him.”
All detainees were charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, which is a second degree felony in the state of Texas. Each individual was magistrated by Judge David Garza, who set bonds at $10,000 each. They all made bond, and the case will be referred to the Cameron County District Attorney’s office. In Texas, the penalty for a second degree felony is a minimum of two years or a maximum of 20 years imprisonment. Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to call Banda at (956) 361-3880.
Read this story in the Nov. 7 edition of the San Benito News, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.






Recent Comments