Two suspects nabbed in ear-biting incident

NEWS Staff Report

emergency-lightsTwo of the three suspects wanted for the aggravated assault of a man whose ear was reportedly bitten off on Saturday have been arrested, police confirmed.

It was Wednesday morning when San Benito residents Pedro Suarez, 31, and Maria Alicia Rodriguez, 25, were arrested by officers with the San Benito Police Department and charged with aggravated assault in connection with said crime, SBPD Assistant Operations Chief Michael Galvan said.

As previously reported by the News, it all started when a 40-year-old man attending a weekend party at a San Benito nightclub wound up at Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen after his ear was reportedly bitten off by a female bar patron, whom the victim has claimed was a stranger.

The incident allegedly transpired early Saturday morning on the 700 block of Sam Houston Boulevard at an establishment called Party Time Nightclub. Detective Rogelio Banda, Jr. of the San Benito Police Department said, “We got the call at 12:39 a.m.”

It was reported by the victim, who is a San Benito resident, that while he was inside the establishment he was approached by a male assailant whom he did not claim to know. A man later identified as Suarez allegedly approached the victim. What started as a verbal confrontation turned violent when the assailant allegedly hit the victim over the head with a bottle of beer, causing a laceration to the victim’s head.

In a report taken by police, the victim claimed to have said to Suarez, “I don’t want any trouble with you.” However, a second perpetrator identified as Rodriguez is accused of jumping on top of and assaulting the victim. According to witnesses, a third suspect, who has been identified as Maria Elena Machuca, 45, is also accused of attacking the victim.

At the pinnacle of said altercation, it is alleged that Rodriguez bit off approximately half of the male victim’s right ear. The victim was rushed to VBMS where he received emergency treatment, but his injuries were reportedly so severe that he was transported to a hospital in San Antonio, where he was advised by plastic surgeons of surgeries relevant to ear reconstruction.

Banda explained, “Individuals at the bar allegedly stepped in, in an attempt to help the victim. Once the fighting finished, the three suspects fled the bar.” The victim is reportedly in stable condition.

Machua’s whereabouts remain unknown. Anyone with information regarding the remaining suspect’s whereabouts is encouraged to contact the SBPD at (956) 361-3880.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2012/10/17/two-suspects-nabbed-in-ear-biting-incident/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.