SB native Crockett to headline ‘Waddle’

Headliner — Hog Waddle mascot Chicharron stands with San Benito leaders and members of the Texas Heritage Independence Celebration Association, Ruben Cordova and Julio Guerra, during a press conference last Friday. Hog Waddle Festival tickets may be purchased in person at the San Benito City Hall or the San Benito Economic Development Corporation buildings. (Courtesy photo/City of San Benito)

By ALBERT VILLEGAS
Special to the NEWS

San Benito native and rising country and western singer Charley Crockett will headline this year’s Hog Waddle Concert & Cook-off, which includes a variety of other activities for both children and adults to enjoy, local leaders said during a press conference last Friday.

The Saturday, March 14 festival is a kick-off to the summer concert series that city leaders also plan on hosting for a second consecutive year.

“The most important thing is we want to cater to San Benito and that our city can be a destination for music; we have a lot to offer, and we want to bring entertainment to the people of San Benito and also the Valley,” San Benito Mayor Ricardo “Rick” Guerra said during the press conference inside the San Benito Economic Development Corporation Building. “Last year we had to cancel due to the freeze, but we’re back at it again and hopefully the weather will be better this time.”

He cited the City of San Benito’s summer concert series’ success last year in terms of attendance despite controversy over costs and profitability.

The Hog Waddle in March will now be a reminder of what’s to come in the summer, city leaders said. The introduction of the 2025 summer concert series had nine shows in July and August, and attracted nearly 20 well known musicians and comedians.

City Manager Fred Sandoval said the two festive events are now linked, with a major emphasis on future economic development southwest of the city.

Calling the Crockett announcement as the “worst kept secret in San Benito,” Sandoval heralded the local efforts to bringing the 41-year old singer and songwriter back.

“We have a great group of people putting this together,” Sandoval said. “You saw what we did last summer. This is 2.0 on that.”

Referring to its effects as “generational,” the second-year city manager said the efforts being made on the ground will be far-reaching.

“We’re planning for the future, we’re planning for development,” Sandoval said

He mentioned that a future amphitheater will be located where the Hog Waddle is being held, around the San Benito Fairgrounds at 1501 Cesar Gonzales.

“Our amphitheater is going to anchor our retail development out there; there are a lot of things that are coming and a lot of people that are partnering up with us, and this is just one piece of that big program we’re putting together.”

According to Crockett’s website, he will be touring extensively leading up to his March 14 concert. He will be in Canada and then five U.S. states before coming to San Benito. The last time he came, in September 2024, he was awarded the key to the city.

Among those represented at the press conference were leaders from the San Benito Chamber, the school district, EDC, the Texas Conjunto Music Hall of Fame and Museum, and elected officials.

“When we are unified, we do great things for our community,” San Benito Director of Communications Cristina M. Garcia said.

General admission tickets start at $10, with VIP seating available for $50. Tickets can be purchased online via a link on the City of San Benito’s website.

Tickets can also be purchased at the San Benito EDC Building, located at 701 North Bowie.

In addition to the music, there will be an early-morning 5K run, carnival, cook-off contest, performances by San Benito CISD dance students, and a Battle of the Alamo reenactment by the Texas Heritage Independence Celebration Association.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.sbnewspaper.com/2026/01/30/sb-native-crockett-to-headline-waddle/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.