By RAY QUIROGA
publisher@sbnewspaper.com
As an indication of continued growth in the area, another groundbreaking was held in the Resaca City this week, this time in recognition of the Phase 3 Liberty Estates development on Liberty Circle and JFK Ave. in San Benito.
Wednesday morning’s groundbreaking ceremony took place one week after City of San Benito staff and elected officials celebrated the groundbreaking of a Stripes Convenience Store and the San Sebastian residential and commercial development along Bus. 77, to much fanfare.
As reported last week, the San Sebastian Subdivision will offer a thoughtfully designed community with three residential phases featuring 179 lots and eight prime commercial pad sites. The subdivision is said to be the first of its kind for San Benito.
Strategically located east of the Oscar Williams and W. Business 77 intersection, this development is set to create valuable opportunities for homeowners and businesses. Community amenities include soccer and basketball courts, a children’s playground, dog parks, and walking trails.
But Wednesday was about Liberty Estates Phase 3. In keeping with his theme shared during last week’s ceremonies, San Benito City Manager Fred Sandoval stressed the importance of “rooftops” explaining that with (residential) rooftops comes commercial rooftops (storefronts) and vice versa.
Sandoval also said that many Valley cities wish they were in the Resaca City’s position regarding growth and potential.
San Benito Mayor Ricardo “Rick” Guerra had a similar message, telling those present at the convivial groundbreaking that the Resaca City is “coming up.”
Harlingen’s ARB Contractors’ Rene Mares, a San Benito High School Class of 1991 graduate, said plans are to facilitate 60 homes on the 13-acre plot of land. Mares added that lots are going for around $53,500-$60,000, (contractor price, multiple buys) and some buyers have reserved a number of those lots. Mares added that the custom-built homes will cost roughly between $250,000-$300,000 with build restrictions.
“There’s a master plan for the whole project (Liberty Estates). The reason we came into this phase is because there were already so many homes coming out of this one entrance, so there had to be a secondary entrance. That is why we had this as our next phase, so we can have an exit for these residents here,” said Mares.
Mares expects the entire project to be completed within a three-year timeframe, adding that talks are underway regarding Phase 4.






Recent Comments