By MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ
The hand grenade found inside a San Benito home on Tuesday was a dud after all, local police have confirmed.
Operations Chief Martin Morales Jr. of the San Benito Police Department said on Friday that the device, which was confirmed to be a hand grenade, was “deactivated.”
“It was actually a real hand grenade,” Morales said. “It wasn’t a replica or a dummy, but it was not capable of exploding. It didn’t have any explosive capabilities because it had been deactivated.”
As previously reported, the Brownsville Police Department Bomb Squad was called to assist San Benito police with the device, which was found at about 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 26, inside an empty home on the 1300 block of Combes Street.
At the residence, which Morales said is undergoing remodeling, the owner also discovered that a window had been broken.
As a precaution, residents within a three-block radius of the home in question were reportedly asked to stay indoors as the Bomb Squad conducted its investigation.
“The Bomb Squad disassembled it (grenade) just to make sure, and it didn’t have the contents of an explosive,” Morales said. “They’re going to look into it of course, but as far as I know there haven’t been any more developments on it as of this time.”